Piles is commonly known as hemorrhoids. They are the vascular structures in the anal canal. They are swollen and inflamed veins around the anus. There are two types of hemorrhoids.
Type I: Internal haemorrhoids are present with rectal bleeding while defecating and is painless.
Type II: External haemorrhoids results in pain and swelling in the area near the anus.
Symptoms of Hemorrhoids:
- Bleeding while defecating.
- Painless internal piles
- Discomfort while sitting and anal itching
- Forming a lump and pain and swelling in the anal area.
Causes of Hemorrhoids:
- Irregular bowel habits, This may include due to stomach problems like indigestion, Diarrhea and constipation.
- Lack of exercise
- Including low fiber diets in meal.
- An absence of valves within the haemorrhoids veins (which are genetic) and aging.
- Other factors includes obesity, prolonged sitting etc.
Diagnosis of Hemorrhoids:
Hemorrhoids are diagnosed by physical examination. In some cases patient also have to undergo sigmoidoscopy, colonoscopy and barium enema x-ray to diagnose properly.
There are various preventive measures which can be taken in order to avoid piles. Some are as follows:
- Avoid straining during defecating.
- Drink lots of water.
- Include high fiber food like fruits in diet
- Exercise everyday.